Monday 24 March 2014

So You Have A Blog ??

Almost everyday I get emails and texts from former fellow students in college , and once from a girl I knew in high school, that have one thing in common; a link to a blog they've created where, like me, they hope to change the world (I hope) and build a name one character at a time. All this people are ambitious, creative and aggressive in different ways and areas, and as I follow the links hoping that generating a page-view amounts to my good deed a day, I wonder, in this crowded web "real-estate", how does one stand out?


A very revered mentor and teacher, Sitawa talks about the Wow Factor often, ominously warning a little coven she meets 2-3 times a week that lacking this basic ingredient, your social pie will crumble the wrong way, every time. She should know , as winner of  Malaika Activist of the Year 2013, East Africa Philanthropy Awards in Youth Philanthropy and Spark*Kenya Changemaker 2013 and also a finalist in the Google Africa Connected Success Stories (powered by the web) Competition, which feats she has accomplished through using her blog to advocate for cognizance of mental health issues and epilepsy in Kenya.

Watch a short video courtesy of YouTube where she talks about her work below.



Sitawa has a Wow Factor and that is her resilient fight to shine through her story of rape, epilepsy, rejection and discrimination and the stigma faced by people with mental health issues in our society. Learning from her invaluable tidbits on life is mine, coupled with my love for words, art, and the yearning in my heart to tell a story. 

2 comments:

  1. Tell your story Sunshine, the world is listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sitawa dear, for the comment, the support, the platform ..you know as much as this is my story, it has so much of you in it.

      Delete