Monday 14 April 2014

Behind My "Maasai" Name


Members of my theatre group

A lot of people I meet say my name, Kailani, sounds Maasai.

The Maasai is a Kenyan tribe that is recognized worldwide as a representation of the Kenyan people with a lot of their traditional jewellery, like the Maasai headband and necklaces that I am  wearing above,
and Maasai sandals like the ones below being a hit in the global market.




If you have been to Kenya as a tourist,  no doubt you have seen the Maasai dancers. The Maasai are a lanky, elegant tribe, almost all gifted in art, dance, music, and with such beautiful genes. 



 I am extremely proud to have my name associated with the Maasai. As I post this therefore I feel like I am letting out of the bag a HUGE secret better kept close at heart. I do not wish to renounce my "Maasai roots" LOL.

Truthfully, KAILANI is a Hawaiian name that is a combination of two things that I adore.

KAI means WATER. 
I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love being in or around  water. I am spellbound by waterfalls  , stand in the rain for hours when I can and splash about with my bathwater like a happy tot.

LANI means HEAVEN or SKY. 
Being too imaginative, I once saw the moon smile and give me a secret wink. I fell in love that night, and remain betrothed to the wonders that the heavens hold.

The name Kailani  has been translated to mean  “where heaven meets the water” or "heavenly waters". 

I like to think of myself as the horizon, where the sun kisses the ocean, and the icy depths of the water bask in a warm embrace.

And with a name that is both Maasai and Hawaiian, I feel I represent my country and the world, in a marriage of East and West. I hope you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment